Isn't it pretty? A cake perfect for afternoon tea! This is a light and tangy cake, the blueberries add some sweetness.
125g butter, softened in room temperature
1 cup castor sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups self raising flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
zest of 2 lemons
Juice of 1 lemon
½ cup buttermilk
1 cup frozen blueberries
For the Cream Cheese drizzle
200g of cream cheese, softened in room temperature
3 tbsp butter, softened in room temperature
1 cup icing sugar mix
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 170C.
2. Cream butter and castor sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add vanilla extract, lemon zest, lemon juice and eggs and beat until combined.
4. Add flour, baking powder and stir gently, adding buttermilk in stages, until all combined.
5. Carefully stir in the blueberries, do not overmix.
6. Spread into a prepared 8 inch round cake tin and bake for 30 minutes.
7. Cool on wire rack.
8. For the icing, beat the cream cheese, butter and icing sugar adding lemon juice to the right consistency.
9. Spread the icing on when cake is completely cooled.