Monday 4 July 2011

Banana Chiffon Cake



I haven't tried baking a chiffon cake for ages, more than 20 years to be exact. I remember my first attempt with a big grin on my face; my dad had copied a recipe from my cousin, and told me she had given me a small bottle of cream of tartar. I had no clue what it looked like, and the bottles of spices and powders in my parents' kitchen were all unlabelled. I bet I made the weirdest flavour chiffon ever in human history that day; guess what I used instead of cream of tartar? Kaffir lime powder!!!

Ingredients (For 9 inch angel cake tin)
Egg yolk mixture:
6 egg yolks
100g castor sugar
140g self raising flour
6 tbsp oil
6 tbsp banana puree

Egg white mixture:
6 egg whites
120g castor sugar
½ tsp cream of tartar

Method
1.      Preheat oven to 170°C.
2.      Whisk the egg yolk mixture until pale and smooth.
3.      Using a clean dry bowl, whisk egg white till ribbon stage, add in the sugar and cream of tartar and whisk till stiff peak.
4.      Blend 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture to lighten it.
5.      Carefully fold in the rest of the egg white mixture.
6.      Pour into cake tin, do not grease the cake tin.
7.      Tap the tin on the table once or twice to expel trapped air pockets.
8.      Bake in 170°C oven for 45 mins.
9.      Take it out of the oven and turn the cake tin upside down to cool to prevent the cake collapsing.
10.  When cool, carefully loosen the sides and the circle around the central funnel and pray that it pops out easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...