Saturday 23 July 2011

Siu Mai /Shao Mai 烧卖



Here in Australia, these are sold as Dim Sims, they come steamed or deep fried. I had my first taste of this shock horror Aussie rendition of this traditional Chinese delicacy from a stall in Victoria Market. It was my second day in Australia, I thought I had eaten some dead rats, it was foul.

Thankfully there are many Chinese restaurants here now serving excellent Yum Cha’s. I still can’t get over people willingly eating the mass produced frozen variety. I had leftover pork mince from the wontons, so I thought I’d illustrate how easy it is to make these little treats.

Ingredients
300g pork mince
150g uncooked fresh prawns, mince
2 tsp grated ginger
1 clove garlic, finely diced
1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
2 tbsp light soy sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
Half a packet of wonton skins

Method
1.          Mix all the ingredients together until the mince sticks well together.
2.          Place a big dollop of mince in the middle of the wonton skin and scrunch the sides up around the mince.
3.          Tap the base lightly on the table a couple of times to flatten it.
4.          You can place a small piece of carrot/green pea/crab roe etc in the middle of the top as a garnish.
5.          Line steamer with non stick paper.
6.          Steam on high heat for 15 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. These dumplings look fabulous! Yum! Thanks so much for sharing, your recipes look great, love your site! I am now following =]

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...